Skip to main content

Many Moves Ahead

Inspired by The Sunday Muse #181:



This feels like the beginning of a sheaf of rules,
Small print, thin paper, ghosting of another language.

This feels like a question at the point of a lance:
Where are you going and why should I allow you to?

This feels like a determinative intelligence test:
Guess which bubbles lead to a happy, remunerative end.

Except

It's only a game and his board is all set.

Hoping everyone is having a bright October and a cozy fall. It's not quite cozy here yet...but Halloween has arrived. :) 


-- Chrissa

Comments

  1. And I say ... walk away, simply walk away. Great write Ms. Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant! It's not about a high-stakes test, it's about playing a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, it does! I love "this feel like a question at the point of a lance" , and I can relate to the sentiments flowing here my friend. Happy October Saturday Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bubbles are notoriously unreliable as guides!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a serious game indeed! Great response and write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's only a game but played with strategies and intelligent moves
    that strike hard on the mind!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what you’ve done here Chrissa. And it’s all art and all is games. Nice write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is excellent. I especially favor the opening lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a board game....IQ tests are never an indication of real intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah that lance can be dangerous...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The repetitive narrative statement reminded me of the 'boomerang methaphor' form
    A lovely poem.
    Happy Sunday Chrissa

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  12. A complicated game. I avoid them. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandfather whipped me routinely at checkers. I shudder to think what would happen to me at chess! Loved your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "a sheaf of rules, / Small print, thin paper, ghosting of another language." Oh! Oh! Oh! So good! Then "This feels like a question at the point of a lance:" amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Games like that, I'd rather walk away and let them play with themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a Future Past

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #204 . It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening ran behind me dragons, demons, and the sleeping world; afraid to turn, to wake me. Power needs its horror stories, its ghosts. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening followed close; a fantasy of goodness, where the gold is always covering bones. Power needs its fairy tales, its witches. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening treads my hem, like an army from the dragon's teeth and all the lies therein. -- Chrissa

On Bad Days

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #186 . Sorry. Probably best to skip this one. On bad days I argue with the void: it is empty; I call it full of nothing made pathological; therefore it obsesses to possess mass, to be something arguing with the universe but shouting in the mirror black as starlit backdrop, as stars that fall deeper and deeper into time until they  drag everything into the void and are empty, wrung out of needing to have an argument and then we look at each other, deep in the black fallen forever of our gaze.  I wasn't going to post this week. But that probably doesn't matter...because here is a post. This has been a weird week and, in the midst of much more important things, my NaNo project just [temporarily] self-destructed. There will be a return to that project and I'm already sharpening the knives for it. Just need to let a little off-topic anger abate so that everyone doesn't get flamethrowers and a crazy 80's soundtrack. AAAAAAAAEEEEEIIIIIIIIIII!...

Fearsome by Survival

  Sharing today with T he Sunday Muse #189 , where Shay is hosting. Come and read and share a piece! On a web-white, wool-quiet morning I found the girl our stories gave us The one who survived She wore the meadow, carded and sewn Long since burned for field Still, she knew me Her stories named me fierce, feral She might have feared  The one who devours Neither of us spoke, patient at morning Breath, warmth, silence Innocent of power We know the stories kill us both We know that we become Fearsome by survival Hello and welcome. It's 67 degrees outside this morning and a warm December weekend might seem like the kind of thing that would prevent me from following through on a plan to hibernate with a good book for the rest of the weekend...but it's the doomscrolling that's run down the charge on my phone that's preventing me from doing that. Also, I may have developed an intolerance to long stretches of quiet during the past year and a half.  Anyway. Looking forward to r...