Skip to main content

Turn Away

 Sharing with The Sunday Muse, for #193.


Turn away, like the moon, listening...
Listening to the planet that rumbles with a hundred million
slaps. All the feet, all the rockets, all the 
pistons in the cars on the asphalt over the chasm
where the veins run deep, blue in sunlight, black at night.
Running over the chasm. 
Once or twice they ran to you.
Once or twice they ran by.

Greetings and salutations. The sky is an entertaining shade of concrete yellow as the rain promised earlier in the week makes good on its arrival. It's a disturbing bright sallow sky, the kind of sky that puts you in mind of old movies and degraded film stock and the pops and crackles incidental to the main story. 

Several years ago I made a resolution to journal more and last year I came across a video that suggested I actually re-read those journals, at least those of the previous year, at the beginning of each new year. Technically, I have kept the journal resolution, making daily notes in the margins of notes for stories, with the result that my journals are scattered among false starts and stories. The incidental popping and cracking this year is me attempting to stitch the year into one long file according to the dated notes. I've been typing for days. There is so much that I started and then left off  for a new start or new story. I feel like I'm the giant insect sitting in the middle of the bones of half-eaten stories. I'm not sure when the military (or the plucky kids or the stray scientist with a head for insects) will begin the pummeling...but it has to be soon, right? Might be the headache talking. 

Hope you're having a wonderful (dry-ish) week! 

-- chrissa

Comments

  1. Your poem is deep and amazing Chrissa! The idea of a planet that rumbles with a hundred million slaps...well that line is utterly brilliant and a fascinating way of speaking of what humans on it have done. This rain has been brutal for me. I had to drive in a bad downpour earlier. I am still trying to recover. 😓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes!! Hoping you get a chance to recover! Downpour driving is awful. :(

      Delete
  2. Splendid writing Chrissa! Mesmerizing imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is such strength is this poem! Thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow its interesting how far out the image transported you.
    Nice one Chrissa

    Happy New Year

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Midnight stream of consciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, I have played the bongo .. in front of an audience. The tapping, slapping on the drum .. hypnotic as is your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have heard the vibrations of the drum echoing out into the universe. I play a hoop drum and the energy is amazing. Unfortunately, I feel we have slapped our planet too hard and she is striking back with a force that is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a reverence for you doing the journal. We all have need to do this but it is too late for me. I may do a memoir or two instead. I've had three cars that "rumble" with the pistons firing. The first one I got a ticket back in my hometown for it being too loud. The second one I was harassed by the police where I lived for having it like that, the third I still have, an old but pristine 1974 Ford Mustang II that was my mom's car. It has 67K miles.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late Jim. Start journaling. I find it such a liberating activity. I do morning pages (as prescribed by Julia Cameron) and when I don't get to them, because life gets busier than normal, I find myself getting crotchety and moody. It takes me a while to realise the reason for my unrest.

      Delete
  9. "where the veins run deep, blue in sunlight, black at night.
    Running over the chasm.
    Once or twice they ran to you.
    Once or twice they ran by."

    Outstanding, Chrissa! I love to read your after notes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the reflection here, Turn away yet Listening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous poem. Well done. I almost sang it when reading ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chrissa, I love your stream of consciousness here.
    --Li/Lisa at tao-talk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Treacle Season

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #190 ,  hosted this week by Carrie. Keaton was great in that show—the one with wings— Where he was constantly a [man]child on a ledge  dreaming an angel who became a superhero.   She was a sarcastic (fake?) angel—it was the 80s— But always good, on time, her lessons easy, Easy as it would have been for him to fall.   The metaphor so obvious...but I didn't get it. Nor the easy and obvious good. (/s)   I watch the TV movie every other December Remembering believing in easy And crushing on this character, that city...   Angels should be sweet, sarcastic figures, knowing (like nurses and social workers) we prefer Sleeping on the ledge, reckless to call for "heroes." To clear up any confusion:  there is no Michael Keaton movie we watch every holiday season. Although, if there were...I'd probably watch it.  -- Chrissa

Out of the Den

  For the Sunday Muse, #166. Deep in the rain, stand and drink. Water that rises carries the need, Remember the trail where it sinks; Deep in the rain, stand and drink. There is a rumble outside as I write. Arthur has come to check on me and has curled up beneath the desk--once James settles down, he'll probably find a more comfortable place to snooze or shiver through the rain. I am, this week, angry. You'd think a wolf would be a goad for finding words for it; not yet. I didn't expect to reemerge and be angry. I expected tears, the occasional panic attack, relief. Instead I am furious and couldn't say why.  -- Chrissa