Skip to main content

Vita Divine, Lucid Gardener

 Sharing with The Sunday Muse #235. Poetry is the usual rule of the venue, but the community is generous and welcoming. Come share!

They had voted against keeping chickens in these suburban yards during the last election, but Vita could hear neighbor’s birds, restless and outspoken as the neighbors. She could also hear the tiny chick that someone had left just under the hand of the statue in her garden, trying to inform it’s family of its location. It had been sitting quietly until it noticed Vita. Those kids probably assumed it was St. Francis rather than the Rambler when they snuck it into her backyard. Everyone assumes the pomegranates are apples and my yard a metaphor for Eden. She leaned against old fence section she’d converted into a plant stand and stared at the bird, who stared back at her. That one knows who’s protecting her. Vita wasn’t sure whether she or her garden could claim any protection from the saints of Green House. Fae saints weren’t into that.

This week's submission is slightly different, owing to my working through my NaNo projects this month. The above is the beginning of a short story inspired by my being more interested in the bottles in the wine store than the wine (it all tastes like medicine to me). I ended up walking the aisles and writing down the names that caught my eye for use during November's daily writing efforts. They seem to have, in combination with this week's prompt, turned into the potential apotheosis of a singularly worried suburban chick, who may or may not hold the fate of her family in her tiny beak. We'll see how it goes. Chickens, by the way, are another creature that scares me more than I should admit. Deer, chickens, coyotes, and stray story ideas that turn out to be more feral than tame. 

Hope you're having a cozy November, perhaps plenty of cocoa and good music and a furry book close to hand. :)

-- Chrissa

Comments

  1. Well now, I do love a nice glass of wine with dinner. Pour me a St. Francis 2016 Reserve Merlot if you please. Your well penned prose made me do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just returned with a chocolate peppermint bottle to flavor homemade whipped cream. Raising a spoonful to your merlot. :)

      Delete
  2. Funny, chickens scare me too. But this one chick seems as curious to have found a sanctuary as the garden's owner. Oh and the hot cocoa sounds fine for a November evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was wonderful Chrissa! 🙂✌🏼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Chrissa. Bravo. Happy Sunday.

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this reverie. An interesting take on the image, and a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An entertaining story. 'That one knows who’s protecting her" - I felt the small chick was protected by an angel statue of some sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Everyone assumes the pomegranates are apples and my yard a metaphor for Eden." - wonderful. Look forward to the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A delightful tale which sits alongside the image pefectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The image led you in a wonderful direction my friend! I love this and the yard bing a metaphor for Eden! I too have a fear of chickens and roosters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful & I look forward to reading the rest. Hot Chocolate sounds delish right now :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Treacle Season

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #190 ,  hosted this week by Carrie. Keaton was great in that show—the one with wings— Where he was constantly a [man]child on a ledge  dreaming an angel who became a superhero.   She was a sarcastic (fake?) angel—it was the 80s— But always good, on time, her lessons easy, Easy as it would have been for him to fall.   The metaphor so obvious...but I didn't get it. Nor the easy and obvious good. (/s)   I watch the TV movie every other December Remembering believing in easy And crushing on this character, that city...   Angels should be sweet, sarcastic figures, knowing (like nurses and social workers) we prefer Sleeping on the ledge, reckless to call for "heroes." To clear up any confusion:  there is no Michael Keaton movie we watch every holiday season. Although, if there were...I'd probably watch it.  -- Chrissa

Turn Away

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse , for #193. Turn away, like the moon, listening... Listening to the planet that rumbles with a hundred million slaps. All the feet, all the rockets, all the  pistons in the cars on the asphalt over the chasm where the veins run deep, blue in sunlight, black at night. Running over the chasm.  Once or twice they ran to you. Once or twice they ran by. Greetings and salutations. The sky is an entertaining shade of concrete yellow as the rain promised earlier in the week makes good on its arrival. It's a disturbing bright sallow sky, the kind of sky that puts you in mind of old movies and degraded film stock and the pops and crackles incidental to the main story.  Several years ago I made a resolution to journal more and last year I came across a video that suggested I actually re-read those journals, at least those of the previous year, at the beginning of each new year. Technically, I have kept the journal resolution, making daily notes in the margins of

Out of the Den

  For the Sunday Muse, #166. Deep in the rain, stand and drink. Water that rises carries the need, Remember the trail where it sinks; Deep in the rain, stand and drink. There is a rumble outside as I write. Arthur has come to check on me and has curled up beneath the desk--once James settles down, he'll probably find a more comfortable place to snooze or shiver through the rain. I am, this week, angry. You'd think a wolf would be a goad for finding words for it; not yet. I didn't expect to reemerge and be angry. I expected tears, the occasional panic attack, relief. Instead I am furious and couldn't say why.  -- Chrissa