Skip to main content

Where Will I Go?

 Sharing with The Sunday Muse #192.



Where will I go? Along the road. 
There are entire industries surrounding me
Old filmstrips of steel and rubber
Men in showers of sparks
Like the fountains you used to find
At a mall. Only malls, like filmstrips,
Are dying like the great animals 
Outside these windows.
Where will I go? Along the road.

Hope everyone had a cozy beginning to the 2022! We made gingerbread people & cuddled Arthur (who doesn't like loud, random noise) and then everyone had popcorn, which turned out to be the only snack we could all share. Arthur may or may not have developed superpowers.

Merlin's superpower remains insta-sleep to insta-snack readiness. And fuzziness. Happy New Year!!!!



-- chrissa

Comments

  1. a deep and thoughtful questioning - the setting so visual too

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful poem of questions to start the year. It does seem the mall is becoming extinct. I love the photos of your beautiful dogs Chrissa! Sounds like you had a lovely evening despite the crash of fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Times they are a'changin' .... Well said.,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am walking the same path as you, Chrissa ... wondering where we go, how we change, what more do we lose along the way. Wishing you happiness, good health and great writes in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you Arthur and Merlin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What BEAUTIFUL dogs you have! Malls dying like the large animals is an arresting image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This poem reminds me of the unoccupied strip malls you see so often now. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very true, Chrissa, and you told it so very well. Part of going to the mall was seeing people and being seen. I proposed to Mrs. Jim at the mall (Alameda,.Houston) and that was 49 years ago January. I did before several times but she said no, not in leap year.
    The modern generations meet online to see and be seen. But there are some still open for your poet.
    I liked the after notes too. I'm glad you had a nice and busy holiday. My granddaughter's new cat didn't like the fireworks either. Mrs. Jim's birthday is on New Year's Day, the GD, youngest one and our younger daughter and SIL took us out for early dinner at our new Chippers for some British imitation fish and chips. The grandaughter then spent a couple of nights with us. That all made for a happy weekend.
    You have a nice new year,
    ..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a Future Past

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #204 . It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening ran behind me dragons, demons, and the sleeping world; afraid to turn, to wake me. Power needs its horror stories, its ghosts. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening followed close; a fantasy of goodness, where the gold is always covering bones. Power needs its fairy tales, its witches. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening treads my hem, like an army from the dragon's teeth and all the lies therein. -- Chrissa

On Bad Days

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #186 . Sorry. Probably best to skip this one. On bad days I argue with the void: it is empty; I call it full of nothing made pathological; therefore it obsesses to possess mass, to be something arguing with the universe but shouting in the mirror black as starlit backdrop, as stars that fall deeper and deeper into time until they  drag everything into the void and are empty, wrung out of needing to have an argument and then we look at each other, deep in the black fallen forever of our gaze.  I wasn't going to post this week. But that probably doesn't matter...because here is a post. This has been a weird week and, in the midst of much more important things, my NaNo project just [temporarily] self-destructed. There will be a return to that project and I'm already sharpening the knives for it. Just need to let a little off-topic anger abate so that everyone doesn't get flamethrowers and a crazy 80's soundtrack. AAAAAAAAEEEEEIIIIIIIIIII!...

Fearsome by Survival

  Sharing today with T he Sunday Muse #189 , where Shay is hosting. Come and read and share a piece! On a web-white, wool-quiet morning I found the girl our stories gave us The one who survived She wore the meadow, carded and sewn Long since burned for field Still, she knew me Her stories named me fierce, feral She might have feared  The one who devours Neither of us spoke, patient at morning Breath, warmth, silence Innocent of power We know the stories kill us both We know that we become Fearsome by survival Hello and welcome. It's 67 degrees outside this morning and a warm December weekend might seem like the kind of thing that would prevent me from following through on a plan to hibernate with a good book for the rest of the weekend...but it's the doomscrolling that's run down the charge on my phone that's preventing me from doing that. Also, I may have developed an intolerance to long stretches of quiet during the past year and a half.  Anyway. Looking forward to r...