Skip to main content

In My Head

 Sharing with The Sunday Muse #243.


The writer in my head is never honest.
He sits back, pokes a memory...sighs.
Reassures me it's completely meaningless.
He grabs a sheaf of ideas, fans them out:
Detritus. High school? Offices before social media?
One by one, he feeds them into the fire.
Briefly, he stares into the flames,
Shakes his head, tilts back, stares at the ceiling.
He's stuck in a ready room. 
In a skull.
He could make fifteen different novels
At least one deathless sword-and-sorcery series
Out of this--he'd be the wizard.
The fire crumples the paper, petals it.
A vase of charcoal, fiery blooms.
Boring. Burn the worst, the best.
He's a liar, a fabulist, a critic,
with a sorcerous talent for disparagement. 

Greetings and salutations!  Thanks for the kind wishes toward Merlin, who has been doing well this week, alternating between super bouncy (is there food potentially available? new people around?) and his natural pillow state (see below).


-- Chrissa


Comments

  1. I especially love the opening:

    "The writer in my head is never honest.
    He sits back, pokes a memory...sighs."

    And this:

    "The fire crumples the paper, petals it."

    "a fabulist" ... that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.....there are a lot of interesting ideas going around in your head:) Quite complicated ones. Pats and tickles for Merlin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This speaks to and for every poet's mind and muse Chrissa! I love this so much and the feeling it swiftly tosses at us! Brilliant writing my friend! I am glad Merlin is feeling better. He is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bummer for a Muse. But you write sooo many nice things, it has to be fiction, can't' you.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the possibilities in the head of this creative writer.

    Merlin looks happy 😊

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes my layed back muse sound very lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "He's a liar, a fabulist, a critic" - isn't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this speaks to me of how much I argue with the writer in my head, often not trusting she's given me anything worth a pen or keyboard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a Future Past

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #204 . It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening ran behind me dragons, demons, and the sleeping world; afraid to turn, to wake me. Power needs its horror stories, its ghosts. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening followed close; a fantasy of goodness, where the gold is always covering bones. Power needs its fairy tales, its witches. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening treads my hem, like an army from the dragon's teeth and all the lies therein. -- Chrissa

On Bad Days

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #186 . Sorry. Probably best to skip this one. On bad days I argue with the void: it is empty; I call it full of nothing made pathological; therefore it obsesses to possess mass, to be something arguing with the universe but shouting in the mirror black as starlit backdrop, as stars that fall deeper and deeper into time until they  drag everything into the void and are empty, wrung out of needing to have an argument and then we look at each other, deep in the black fallen forever of our gaze.  I wasn't going to post this week. But that probably doesn't matter...because here is a post. This has been a weird week and, in the midst of much more important things, my NaNo project just [temporarily] self-destructed. There will be a return to that project and I'm already sharpening the knives for it. Just need to let a little off-topic anger abate so that everyone doesn't get flamethrowers and a crazy 80's soundtrack. AAAAAAAAEEEEEIIIIIIIIIII!...

Fearsome by Survival

  Sharing today with T he Sunday Muse #189 , where Shay is hosting. Come and read and share a piece! On a web-white, wool-quiet morning I found the girl our stories gave us The one who survived She wore the meadow, carded and sewn Long since burned for field Still, she knew me Her stories named me fierce, feral She might have feared  The one who devours Neither of us spoke, patient at morning Breath, warmth, silence Innocent of power We know the stories kill us both We know that we become Fearsome by survival Hello and welcome. It's 67 degrees outside this morning and a warm December weekend might seem like the kind of thing that would prevent me from following through on a plan to hibernate with a good book for the rest of the weekend...but it's the doomscrolling that's run down the charge on my phone that's preventing me from doing that. Also, I may have developed an intolerance to long stretches of quiet during the past year and a half.  Anyway. Looking forward to r...