Skip to main content

No Mercy

There was a seed, there was a tree
Then there came a motor and an edge
An indelicate labor and now a stump
Snuffling the day, restless to rampage
A brain torn from the soil
Now a new red boar
Growling through the foliage:
No kneeling before the cart
No pause before the charge
No mercy at the root


This past week's WordCrafters meeting included a plethora of prompt ideas, including writing from a gardening or nature-based perspective, a word list, a suggested beginning sentence, and a collection of images. I used the word list (the green words above are from the list) and maybe, in a sideways fashion, the nature-based perspective. 

And then there were the images. For some reason lately, I've been noodling through two prompts on Wednesdays, writing one out for sharing and keeping the other to turn over during the week. The image this week? A woman drumming light. It caught my eye and then my brain and then it embedded itself into an old idea that I'd abandoned years ago and kept going. 

As I was driving to work on Thursday, enjoying the grey and breezy morning, I started pulling in the idea of a drive between leaning trees, slightly tweaked street names, and a morning moon. Some of these ended up on small yellow sticky notes in my phone case and then in a small notebook. It's supposed to be another breezy day today and I hope it ruffles the ideas and makes them restless. 

That's probably the best time to snatch them up in a notebook and hope they retain at least some of their form and color. 

TBH, I feel like I'm surrounded with notebooks full of restless ideas that are looking a little baleful in this early spring light, wondering why I'm always chasing down new prompts. This is the merciless root of my idea that I might need a break from the new to work the existing ideas into shape. To give the dwarves in my daydreams time to actually build something solid; to give the goblins a chance to riot; to give the rats a chance to reveal their own secrets. To give the light a chance to beat and shine and illuminate the corridors and streets and phrases and pages. 

-- Chrissa 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a Future Past

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #204 . It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening ran behind me dragons, demons, and the sleeping world; afraid to turn, to wake me. Power needs its horror stories, its ghosts. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening followed close; a fantasy of goodness, where the gold is always covering bones. Power needs its fairy tales, its witches. It's too far in the afternoon, I thought but evening treads my hem, like an army from the dragon's teeth and all the lies therein. -- Chrissa

On Bad Days

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #186 . Sorry. Probably best to skip this one. On bad days I argue with the void: it is empty; I call it full of nothing made pathological; therefore it obsesses to possess mass, to be something arguing with the universe but shouting in the mirror black as starlit backdrop, as stars that fall deeper and deeper into time until they  drag everything into the void and are empty, wrung out of needing to have an argument and then we look at each other, deep in the black fallen forever of our gaze.  I wasn't going to post this week. But that probably doesn't matter...because here is a post. This has been a weird week and, in the midst of much more important things, my NaNo project just [temporarily] self-destructed. There will be a return to that project and I'm already sharpening the knives for it. Just need to let a little off-topic anger abate so that everyone doesn't get flamethrowers and a crazy 80's soundtrack. AAAAAAAAEEEEEIIIIIIIIIII!...

Fearsome by Survival

  Sharing today with T he Sunday Muse #189 , where Shay is hosting. Come and read and share a piece! On a web-white, wool-quiet morning I found the girl our stories gave us The one who survived She wore the meadow, carded and sewn Long since burned for field Still, she knew me Her stories named me fierce, feral She might have feared  The one who devours Neither of us spoke, patient at morning Breath, warmth, silence Innocent of power We know the stories kill us both We know that we become Fearsome by survival Hello and welcome. It's 67 degrees outside this morning and a warm December weekend might seem like the kind of thing that would prevent me from following through on a plan to hibernate with a good book for the rest of the weekend...but it's the doomscrolling that's run down the charge on my phone that's preventing me from doing that. Also, I may have developed an intolerance to long stretches of quiet during the past year and a half.  Anyway. Looking forward to r...