Skip to main content

10K Thursday: Lessons Learned

 


*wild Muppet cheering* Made it to 10,000 words yesterday (and, more importantly, from beginning to end of a short story) sometime around 10 pm yesterday. I had purposely allowed myself a late start, so I wasn't expecting to be done early...but my productivity really drops off after around 5 pm, so it was a slog to the finish line. The document (11 pt font, space between paragraphs but not lines) came to about 16 pages. 

I wanted to try this because I'm often incapable of finishing stories (I start with a static situation & have a hard time making it move) and because I'd seen a challenge going around online for a 10K a day for 7 days, 70K word novel draft. I adore the idea of a having a complete draft to work with after just a week of a work (instant gratification? c'est moi?). Anyway...before committing to an even more intense NaNoWriMo situation, I thought I'd try it for a day.

First lesson learned: I do not want to do this for seven days straight. Typing this a day later has woken up the shoulder cramps that I was experiencing at the end of the day yesterday and, while I type fairly fast, typing and writing don't happen at the same speed and both fall off precipitously if I have to continue after dinner. I'm a morning person, so I would have to start earlier and essentially give up any other productivity for this project (it might be an unsustainable pace on subsequent days, as well).

Second: Even though I'm not a planner/outliner, I needed story beats to keep going. The day before, I'd spent time selecting character names, coming with up a summary of the theme and basic setting and then a list of beginning-to-end story beats. The bulleted list of these beats was right beside me on the desk while I was typing, so I had a constant reference to where I was in the story and where I needed to go. 

Third: Music. The story is set in a mall, so I listened to several H&M and Zara-based playlists. I wasn't familiar with the music but it did fit the ambience of the story and set a not-quite-dilatory but consistent pace. It also helped with keeping an idea of what the mood should be overall.

Fourth: Finishing is a matter of allowing the story to come to an imperfect end. Most stories change over the writing. I'm not a fan of outlines because I enjoy some discovery along the way...but too little direction often has me wandering aimlessly in the fields of over-description. Story beats were just enough of a trail to keep me moving but I still had to fight my noodle tendency. When I'm drafting (mostly in a notebook), I tend to have quotes from other books I'm reading, suggestions from various internet writing sources, digressions on the day itself (combination of draft and journal because if I combine them, journaling feels more productive) and thus, the Extreme Noodle Tendency.

Overall, a good experiment and I'm moderately happy with the story itself. I'm thinking about writing a companion story in a similar fashion later in the summer. Meanwhile, I'm going to explore how to use the story beats to not plan (but suggest a plan) for a novella based on an old WordCrafters prompt from the BeforeTimes. 

Good reading & pleasant writing!

-- Chrissa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treacle Season

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #190 ,  hosted this week by Carrie. Keaton was great in that show—the one with wings— Where he was constantly a [man]child on a ledge  dreaming an angel who became a superhero.   She was a sarcastic (fake?) angel—it was the 80s— But always good, on time, her lessons easy, Easy as it would have been for him to fall.   The metaphor so obvious...but I didn't get it. Nor the easy and obvious good. (/s)   I watch the TV movie every other December Remembering believing in easy And crushing on this character, that city...   Angels should be sweet, sarcastic figures, knowing (like nurses and social workers) we prefer Sleeping on the ledge, reckless to call for "heroes." To clear up any confusion:  there is no Michael Keaton movie we watch every holiday season. Although, if there were...I'd probably watch it.  -- Chrissa

Turn Away

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse , for #193. Turn away, like the moon, listening... Listening to the planet that rumbles with a hundred million slaps. All the feet, all the rockets, all the  pistons in the cars on the asphalt over the chasm where the veins run deep, blue in sunlight, black at night. Running over the chasm.  Once or twice they ran to you. Once or twice they ran by. Greetings and salutations. The sky is an entertaining shade of concrete yellow as the rain promised earlier in the week makes good on its arrival. It's a disturbing bright sallow sky, the kind of sky that puts you in mind of old movies and degraded film stock and the pops and crackles incidental to the main story.  Several years ago I made a resolution to journal more and last year I came across a video that suggested I actually re-read those journals, at least those of the previous year, at the beginning of each new year. Technically, I have kept the journal resolution, making daily notes in the margins of

Out of the Den

  For the Sunday Muse, #166. Deep in the rain, stand and drink. Water that rises carries the need, Remember the trail where it sinks; Deep in the rain, stand and drink. There is a rumble outside as I write. Arthur has come to check on me and has curled up beneath the desk--once James settles down, he'll probably find a more comfortable place to snooze or shiver through the rain. I am, this week, angry. You'd think a wolf would be a goad for finding words for it; not yet. I didn't expect to reemerge and be angry. I expected tears, the occasional panic attack, relief. Instead I am furious and couldn't say why.  -- Chrissa