Skip to main content

Revelations

 Sharing with The Sunday Muse #169:



It takes time for the quest to settle into your calves,
to work through your soles and up to your shoulders,
spreading through nerve and vessel until 
you can't go home because you've already
left something of yourself there.

You can't be in two places at once. You remember
vacations but now you think your family's plans
probably resembled some supervillain's
monologue:  we'll do this and then
take them here. It'll be fun.

When do you leave the house on time? Who's
time? There's a collar of dead bushes at the lawn
in front of the gas station, a tiny, grassy
patch of the suburbs beyond, ruins
of landscaping, bright, dead.

Two years ago feels like twenty, feels loud,
a power wash of wind through the window; roaring
down the dry sewers that funnel a/c
through the lawns and backwards,
carrying dreams dry and sharp.

At this speed, everything cuts as it passes.

Appendix 1:  Chrissa is Full of Stuff and Nonsense
Let's begin with a confession. Today (7/17/2021) is the first day in over a year that I set foot in a mall. And to continue:  I wanted to run down every corridor and at least poke my head in every store and stand right there in the entrance and cry. What we did, instead, was hustle into the bookstore (which didn't have a separate entrance, otherwise we never would have been in that concourse in the first place). I'm still skittish in public. I checked for the book I was looking through, speed-checked the rest of the shelves, found exactly nothing I was willing to take home (except a blank book--I am a terrible hoarder of notebooks) and then left. The entire time I was trying to drown out my brain shouting at me that I was being stupid and reckless. I didn't go anywhere else in the mall. I'm still not sure whether I want to cry, spend three hours in the shower, or just get over myself. The reality is, whether or not this was a foolish endeavor, I'm pretty sure the past year and a half has broken something fundamental in my sense of the world...like the ending of Labyrinth in which the goblin castle is in pieces and nothing fits together properly. 

Appendix 2: The Writing Stuff
Camp NaNo has experienced a little hiccup. I'm having a difficult time motivating myself to keep going, although I have fallen back into a favorite series to remind myself that everything doesn't have to be grim and full of lessons to be a good book. I'm very much enjoying remembering this and will probably go on to read the finish of another series soon. What this means is that I need a new paranormal series to creep into afterward. Suggestions welcome.

Appendix 3: Chrissa Finds Additional Stuff and Nonsense
I'm the type of reader who pokes through appendices the way you'd go through someone's bookshelves, looking for interesting things to borrow (or check out later). I'm also the type of person who, when confronted with a large closet, daydreams about turning it into a tiny office/gallery. Which is an unrelated bad habit...but it does indicate a predilection for poking into things. If this appendix were a closet, it would be full of unmatched socks dedicated to dinosaurs who sneak into pools at night  for a good swim and a think.

Appendix 4: A Way Out!! 
Hope you have a wonderful week & that productivity abounds. Or rest. Or good pool days. Or good novels. All the best!

-- chrissa

Comments

  1. Love the poem AND greatly enjoyed the appendices!! Thanks for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four appendices!!!! How could we get so lucky???? You are ok, promise. Multiple showers not necessary .... your writing reads like four separate poems, each wonderful. Number one is my absolute favorite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love getting a beautiful glimpse into your world my friend! First of all the poem hits home for many and is a truly wonderful write! The last line is so true and powerful and the line about your family vacation plans view made me laugh!! I am glad you went to the mall even though it gave you some mixed emotions. I wanted to ask you, what is the favorite series you have been reading? Anyway, this whole post was a delight to soak in like a wonderful book or fascinating shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those appendices! Wow! I mean we live in two different spheres still so much alike. How I agree with you Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand so well the mall experience.
    Happy Sunday
    My favourite line of your poem
    "Two years ago feels like twenty, feels loud,"

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your poem. The world is a topsy turvy place at the moment - I feel your anxiety at visiting a mall. I particularly enjoyed Appendix 3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrissa, I enjoyed reading the WHOLE bit (oxymoronic?). My favorite was your last stanza, a big bunch of feelings other than touch, "Two years ago feels like twenty, . . ." et al.
    The appendices were great, I'm glad you finally were able to mingle some. Like you, I felt out of place and vulnerable after I was vaccinated. Our daughter was glad to get back to her office workplace this July for the first time since May, 2020. It is in the Energy Corridor off I-10 West, Houston.
    I'm thinking you also write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on another blog, perhaps a 'meme' type. Another diversion from sitting bored.
      I have been reading a series from the library, quite à a few are on Kindle, by Leslie Meier, the Lucy Stone mystery series. She has written 26 of these, I'm stuck on #25, but have read the rest.
      ..

      Delete
    2. If you'd like to read a thick Mark Twain book, I recommend 'Traveling with the innocents abroad, Mark Twain's original reports from Europe and the Holy Land'.
      In 1867 Twain went on probably the first extended European cruise, it lasted about six months. He was commissioned to write for a San Francisco newspaper letters for publication about the places and visits as he went. He wrote 98 (??) letters and each is in this book. I have him in Damascas and quit reading when I retired as I had to turn in all the books I had checked out. Our county library system does not have it and found none to borrow. Finally I found one on eBay for cheap and bought it. Some day, soon I hope, I can finish reading it.
      Especially if you are a Twain enthusiast or think you might like to be I suggest reading it. Also if you like cruising and travelling Europe, well, all of the above is me.
      ..

      Delete
  8. I was a little confused by the poem, but I forgot all about that as I read the appendices which are throroughly entertaining. Glad you got out and about. Wishing you a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The appendices are marvelous stand-alone poems. Do love that last stanza of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "At this speed, everything cuts as it passes." Goodness I love that line! I know how you feel. We have been out doing a few things and every moment of it my brain is screaming, "What the hell do you think you're doing?" Love all the appendages. Sometimes we just need to say what's in our heads because we just have to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Treacle Season

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse #190 ,  hosted this week by Carrie. Keaton was great in that show—the one with wings— Where he was constantly a [man]child on a ledge  dreaming an angel who became a superhero.   She was a sarcastic (fake?) angel—it was the 80s— But always good, on time, her lessons easy, Easy as it would have been for him to fall.   The metaphor so obvious...but I didn't get it. Nor the easy and obvious good. (/s)   I watch the TV movie every other December Remembering believing in easy And crushing on this character, that city...   Angels should be sweet, sarcastic figures, knowing (like nurses and social workers) we prefer Sleeping on the ledge, reckless to call for "heroes." To clear up any confusion:  there is no Michael Keaton movie we watch every holiday season. Although, if there were...I'd probably watch it.  -- Chrissa

Turn Away

  Sharing with The Sunday Muse , for #193. Turn away, like the moon, listening... Listening to the planet that rumbles with a hundred million slaps. All the feet, all the rockets, all the  pistons in the cars on the asphalt over the chasm where the veins run deep, blue in sunlight, black at night. Running over the chasm.  Once or twice they ran to you. Once or twice they ran by. Greetings and salutations. The sky is an entertaining shade of concrete yellow as the rain promised earlier in the week makes good on its arrival. It's a disturbing bright sallow sky, the kind of sky that puts you in mind of old movies and degraded film stock and the pops and crackles incidental to the main story.  Several years ago I made a resolution to journal more and last year I came across a video that suggested I actually re-read those journals, at least those of the previous year, at the beginning of each new year. Technically, I have kept the journal resolution, making daily notes in the margins of

Out of the Den

  For the Sunday Muse, #166. Deep in the rain, stand and drink. Water that rises carries the need, Remember the trail where it sinks; Deep in the rain, stand and drink. There is a rumble outside as I write. Arthur has come to check on me and has curled up beneath the desk--once James settles down, he'll probably find a more comfortable place to snooze or shiver through the rain. I am, this week, angry. You'd think a wolf would be a goad for finding words for it; not yet. I didn't expect to reemerge and be angry. I expected tears, the occasional panic attack, relief. Instead I am furious and couldn't say why.  -- Chrissa